Monday, 23 August 2010

The Cave.... a catch up

I have been invited by the Blue Elephant to direct the world premiere of The Cave by Mervyn Peake. Peake is most famous for his Gormenghast novels.



I have spent most of last week typing up a usable copy of the script. The only version we have is a facsimile of a typed manuscript sent out by Peake's agent in the 1960s. The play was never produced however,so I have been typing up the script to eradicate obvious typos and to make the font legible.

I am deep in research reading a great biography called Vast Alchemies by G. Peter Winnington, some of Mervyn Peake's other writings and looking at his art work.

I am really excited about this project and enjoy the play more everytime I read it. A lot more on this to follow soon.


I know I have been shameful in keeping up with the blog recently but this project should bring a lot more focus to the blog again.

1 comment:

Peter said...

Please contact me: I have the text of The Cave for you. (I am writing my message here as the link to your website in your profile doesn't work.)
Thanks,
Peter